Monday, July 22, 2013

Author Interview - Lindsay Downs

Author Interview - Lindsay Downs


It is my pleasure to have author Lindsay Downs on my blog today answering some questions and presenting his book, "Ice Queen"!

 

1. What genre do you write and why?
Currently I write two genres with multiple contracted books in each. I started off with contemporary romantic suspense with the “A Jessica Sales Novel” series. They are being released every few months from Secret Cravings Publishing (SCP) starting this month with Ice Queen.
The other is regency romantic suspense with the first Spy Catcher coming from SCP in July. Right now this is a standalone but might develop into a series.
2. What other genres would you like to try, which you haven’t done before?
I think the next genre I’ll try is contemporary romance without any suspense or mystery as a subplot.
3. Is there a genre that you would never like to try?

Erotica is one I won’t try, not because I don’t like it but I don’t write hot, steamy, sweaty sex scenes. 

4. Is there a character you liked so much that you would like to meet?
Of all the characters I’ve written my most favorite is Jessica Sales and she’s the one I’d like to hang with. Jessica, not Jess or Jessie, is tough, soft, sexy, hard and can kill with a look or a tanto bladed knife at close range. For the longer distances she’s partial to either the Remington 700 sniper rifle. But, if she really needs to reach out and touch someone give her the Barrett M82A1.
Now, tell me who wouldn’t want to have a meal with her, as long as she doesn’t cook it since she can’t even boil water.
5. When do you usually write and where? Do you have a certain place or writing cave?
I usually devote my late afternoons and nights to writing. I’ve got the perfect place to write as it’s my bedroom, office, where I eat. In other words I live in a boarding house and my entire world is my 15X15 foot room.
6. Where does your inspiration come from?
With my A Jessica Sales Novel series the inspirations come from a word I hear or flits through my mind. Ice Queen because Jessica a cold, for the most part.
Then I had the word prompt “red” from a small group of writers, Tuesday Tales, who write each week to either a word or picture prompt. When I saw the word I immediately thought of blood diamonds and thus the story was born. White Queen came from the prompt “white” and I knew Jessica needed to stop an international white slavery ring. And so it sort of goes with this series
Writing the regencies sort of started as a dare for me. I was presented with several conditions; time of year, year of story and who had to play a major part in the book. From there I wrote the first which developed into a second book, Spy Catcher releasing in July. There is a very strong possibility this will continue into a series.
7. Do you have other passions besides writing?
You mean there’s something else besides writing? Okay, yes I love to read and do it whenever I can.
8. What do you think is the hardest thing about writing?
Telling my characters to stop talking so I can get to bed.
9. Have you ever written a story based on real life events?
In a sense yes. The second novella in “Love and War”, from SCP, entitled Rescued is loosely based on my parents. Other than that one everything I’ve written, am writing and will write is the product of my imagination.
10. Out of all the books you’ve written, which is your favorite one?
This is really the easiest question to answer. Every book in The Jessica Sales Novel series and the regencies I’m working on. In short, if I don’t enjoy writing the book I won’t write it therefore it doesn’t qualify as a favorite.
11. How do you decide how hot or not your book is going to be?
I don’t. It’s my characters who tell me what heat level to take the book to. I know that might sound strange but if you’ve ever had a character go off on your head you’ll understand. They rule the book, I just write what they tell me to.

Ice Queen


Genre: Contemporary Romantic Suspense

Book blurb: Military grade weaponry is disappearing from bases all over the world, only to end up in the hands of terrorists and dictators.

Governments are helpless as the threats of being overthrown mount. As a last resort the world leaders turn to The Consortium to bring the biggest arms dealer to justice. They set Special Operative Jessica Sale on the trail of Justin Grey.

Portraying herself as the go to person when a buyer is looking for quantity and quality Jessica easily instills herself into his organization.

Buried deep within the mountains of Wyoming she finds her target and something she didn’t expect-a traitor in the guise of her boyfriend.

With personal feelings aside she charges ahead with the mission. Flying to New York Jessica arranges for monies to be transferred and weapons shipped. Pleased with her work he invites Jessica back to Wyoming except he never makes it home.

Author contact links:


Twitter - @ldowns2966




Murders and Mysteries blog -     http://murdersandmysteries.wordpress.com/



Buy links: 

 * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Thank you, Lindsay, for stopping by my blog today. I'm looking forward to hosting you again soon!

 

1 comment: